Thursday, April 17, 2008

Nalgen-ius

What with the sudden, rather random furor over bisphenol A (a/k/a, BPA), I decided to give a brief explanation of what a Nalgene addict is supposed to do in these carcinogenic times. This above all: do not simply desert Nalgene, makers of all things plastic and nonleaking.

Go the Nalgene website, click on "Nalgene choice," and select "ultralight HDPE." HDPE stands for "high density polyethylene." HDPE isn't as purty as polycarbonate (a/k/a PC), but this is a water bottle, people, not a fashion statement. Grab a bottle of Evian if you need to look chic, or any one of those newfangled "spa waters," delicately flavored with mint or lime or whatever (PS - a total rip-off).

Actually, I spoke too soon. The humble bisphenol A-free Nalgene, previously seen only in your friendly neighborhood biology and chemistry labs, is now OFFICIALLY a fashion statement. It is available in the suddenly-sexy verdant hue of environmentalism, in a bilingual multicultural show of Earth-love, or in the classic I-owned-this-before-it-was-cool-you-poser white.

And I eat my words yet again!

Coming soon to a Nalgene distributor near you, clear and colorful BPA-free water bottles although they aren't microwaveable. Hm. Actually, why not just check out their nifty comparison chart? You can choose for yourself. Like if you plan on dispensing drinkable liquids at temperatures of 274 F, plastic won't do it and you might need stainless steel. Although stainless steel is certainly not microwaveable, so that would be a no to hot broth at work/school in the winter when you're getting over a cold. At any rate, take a look at the chart and decide what works.

Problem solved, Nalgene emerges victorious, and everyone should be happy.

Now that I've discussed a way for people to hydrate AND avoid endocrine disruptions as a result of BPA mocking estrogen, I have to say I can't believe it took this long for word to get out. My labmate's wife went to a conference like 6 months ago where they discussed the dangers of bisphenol A-laced polycarbonate, and when they bought themselves HDPE Nalgenes, I jumped right in with them. Sure, I liked my cheerfully colorful clear one, but let some greasy molecule potentially mock estrogen while I dutifully hydrated? No thanks. I had that water bottle so I could be healthier. The last thing I need is some crap getting in the way of my attempt to be nice to my insides.

And if you still feel the need to show a little chic via your bottled water choices, grow some peppermint (99% of the time it self-propagates like a weed), and throw a few leaves into your new, BPA-free, very reusable Nalgene. Home-grown spa water (I still can't figure out why it's called that; it sounds to me like the dregs of a drained jacuzzi) in a reusable Earth-friendly vessel. The new hOttness.

No comments: