Saturday, April 4, 2009

Croutons

Apparently, I suck at making croutons.  I tried the other day with some ancient bread ends that somehow never grew mold in the back of the fridge.  The end result wasn't croutons, but it was madd tasty.  

Some recipe suggested heating garlic in olive oil, throwing in the bread, tossing to coat, and then continuing to cook so the bread would toast.  It sounded simple enough.  I think I may have overloaded the pan, because the bread never crisped up.  The garlic started out well enough; I started it in cold oil, gradually letting it heat up so it would infuse all the oil with its garlicky goodness.  When it was sizzling and just starting to brown, I threw in the bread cubes, adding some salt, pepper, and paprika, and tossed and toasted the whole deal.  

This yielded garlicky, salty, chewy, greasy, absolutely delicious bread chunks that weren't crispy but tasted amazing on salad anyway.  I ate a bunch of them as snack food.  Very awesome.  Failing at croutons isn't failing at all.

1 comment:

DEO said...

YUM. Nice accident! If you ever decide you do want to make croutons again, toss the bread chunks with garlicky olive oil and toast them in the oven.