Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baked tofu.

I know I said I'm not going to post, but I have to post because I just made baked tofu.

What you do is you take some firm/extra firm tofu, wrap it in paper towels, put it on a plate, set another plate on top of it, and set something really heavy on top of that (cast iron cookware, whatever). I wasn't aware of just how much liquid is in tofu until very recently (read: tonight) when it flooded my countertop. A cast iron dutch oven is quite heavy; heavy enough to make that block of bean curd lose water like Richard Simmons in a plastic sweatsuit.

Anyway, once I wiped up the flood, I figured the bean curd had drained enough, so I dumped a bunch of soy sauce into the bottom of a tupperware, sliced the tofu, and let it sit there at room temperature for... well, a while turning it over and moving things around so all the slices got soy sauced over the course of a while. I can't tell you exact times or amounts, but I put just enough soy sauce to cover the bottom and pool up somewhat. Then, when nearly all the soy sauce was absorbed, I preheated the oven to 400 F. I put the slices on a very lightly greased tray (I used olive oil - obv it doesn't matter what grease you use), and chucked them into the oven. Once they got browned and caramelized, like after roughly 30 minutes, I turned them over. Then I cooked them until when poked, they felt firm and not jello-like. I think the total cooking time - though I can't swear to it - is about 45 minutes to an hour.

During all this time, I cut up a salad and cooked literally 2 lbs of green beans. Trader Joe's had some beautiful 2 lb bags of them, so I bought one. I found out exactly why it never seems like one pound in enough. It's because of Danny. He eats everything, so now that he's traveling for work, I am left with an insane amount of green beans in soy with garlic and ginger. (PS - I am SO not complaining. Along with having the ENTIRE expanse of the bed to all 5 feet 11 inches of myself, I do so love green beans with soy and garlic and ginger.) But now I have to eat them all.

Anyway, when the tofu came out of the oven and was barely cool enough to pick up, I grabbed the slices, cursed a little because they were hot, and cut them into strips. I heaped my plate with salad and green beans, and haphazardly arranged the tofu strips on top. I drizzled some balsamic vinegar on my salad, and that was dinner. Perfect. I guess rice vinegar might have been more congruous, but I didn't care. The soy on both the tofu and green beans was plenty salty, and the balsamic was tangy with a hint of sweet, and I was thrilled with the outcome.

The baked tofu has opened up a world of flavor. I can squeeze out the water and re-inpregnate bean curd with whatever crazy flavors I want! I'm so excited. There is great potential for cubed, marinated, and baked tofu for finger food, salad toppings, in sandwiches, whatever. This is brilliant.

38 comments:

Danny said...

Of course, the irony is that, by writing all this, you are encouraging me to come home earlier and eat your green beans =)

雅嵐 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical...................................................

佩璇佩璇 said...

先告訴自己希望成為什麼樣的人,然後一步一步實踐必要的步驟。........................................

林于名 said...

Make yourself necessary to someone.......................................................

明宏明宏 said...

thx u very much, i learn a lot

逸凡逸凡 said...

may the blessing be with you.........................................

惠IdellA_Fecteau1231蘋 said...

弱者等待時機,強者製造時機 ..................................................

宏來 said...

85cc片觀看,77美女dvd影片,熊貓貼區,ut網際聊天,一葉情,av,嘟嘟,影音live秀,a片,做愛影片,視訊做愛,美女短片,78論壇,ut聊天,打飛機,a片,免費視訊,免費視訊,成人影院,性愛小說,辣妹視訊,網路交友,捷克論壇,h影片,色咪咪,免費影片85cc,kiss911,後宮,a片,影音視訊聊天,交友,免費聊天,聊天室交友,做愛影片,線上a片,美女影片,免費影片下載,免費聊天室,視訊做愛,美女視訊聊天

淑婷 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical. ........................................

淑惠 said...

感謝分享好的作品~~ .........................................

BeauMiddleton11淑君 said...

你的選擇就是做或不做,不做就永遠不會有機會.............................................

麗旺麗旺 said...

Every why has a wherefore. ....................................................

易英易英 said...

a片a圖一夜情一葉情人妻激情情色寫真美女自拍辣妹自拍正妹自拍美女走光辣妹走光正妹走光脫衣秀脫衣走光色情自慰自拍成人全裸打炮打手槍打飛機巨乳巨奶女優大奶性交性愛淫蕩淫慾淫亂淫婦淫妹

佩GailBohanan1蓉 said...

處順境須謹慎,處逆境要忍耐..................................................

rl64@yahoo.com.hk said...

Make yourself necessary to someone...................................................

淑琦 said...

婚姻對男人來說是賭他的自由,對女人而言卻是賭她的幸福。..................................................................

王雅婷 said...

看看blog放鬆一下,工作累死了....<.................................................................

茹順茹順 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。....................................................................

江婷 said...

pleasure to find such a good artical! please keep update!!.................................................................

清鴻 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

懿綺懿綺 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

云依恩HFH謝鄭JTR安 said...

今夜星光多美好~祝你快樂~~~~..................................................................

幸雨幸雨 said...

下次再來希望可以看到新的作品喔。............................................................

楊儀卉 said...

天氣慢慢轉涼囉~要保重! ............................................................

銘木 said...

你的部落格感覺很棒,nice job!..................................................................

莊雅和莊雅和莊雅和 said...

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat..................................................................

RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

我們能互相給予的最佳禮物是「真心的關懷」。..................................................

黃子軒 said...

來看你囉~加油~~!!.................................[/url]...............

陳柏毅 said...

婚姻對男人來說是賭他的自由,對女人而言卻是賭她的幸福。.................................................................

陳陳昀人良喬 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

家唐銘 said...

Poverty tries friends...................................................................

建鄭勳建鄭勳 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。............................................................

偉曹琬 said...

Many a true word is spoken in jest..................................................................

威吳隆威吳隆威吳隆威吳隆 said...

當我微笑時,世界和我一起微笑;當我快樂時,世界和我一起活躍。..................................................

文滢 said...

好看耶~一定每天有空給你支持..................................................

阿袁袁袁袁華 said...

看了你的日誌 覺得今天好充實 晚安瞜.................................[/url]...............

千TatianaCallan惠 said...

說「吃虧就是便宜的人」,多半不是吃虧的人。......................................................................