Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Syringes in the Kitchen

This is a most unattractive picture of me imitating a mad scientist injecting sufganiyot (briefly mentioned here) with jelly.  More specifically Polaner All-Fruit raspberry whatevertheycallit.  I love raspberry preserves/jam/jelly.  

I'm sure there's a better technique for preserves injection that doesn't involve unused dental syringes (because Danny had his wisdom teeth out, the dentists' office equipped him with 2 syringes to clean out his mouth holes - or whatever you want to call them - so we had some good equipment).  When filling doughnuts of any kind, celebratory or not, is there a better way to jammify them?  Obviously people have been doing this for much longer than there have been syringes, so they must have some way to go about this culinary pursuit.  

I've seen recipes for a two-part doughnut with jelly in the middle like a sandwich, but I'd imagine it would get absorbed and kind of gooky during frying.  Other recipes say to use a syringe or a spoon and a small hole.  Hm.

This frying/filling business isn't something I'm familiar with or good at...

No comments: