Saturday, January 3, 2009

When life gives you lemons...

..you CLONE them, and make SUPER lemons!!!!

(Madd, madd props if you got that reference.)

If you didn't, that was from Clone High, a fantastic cartoon show MTV did for 2 seasons.  The first season was amazingly excellent, but the second season was a little too trippy and disjointed for my viewing tastes.  

But anyway, I had lemons.  And eggplants.  And ample amounts of tahini.  And I'm sick and I wanted something garlicky to kill the cold viruses.  Despite the shakiness of this particular bubbe meise, baba ganoush and hummus sounded excellent.  I've written about how to make baba ganoush before, and rereading it, it still sounds right.  Adding the tahini straight from the jar (instead of premixing it with lemon juice, salt, smashed garlic, and water to get the dressing you'd pour over falafel) amps up the creaminess and minimizes any residual wateriness from the eggplants.  And I've written about how to make hummus before, too.  Rereading it, it sounds pretty good, although if I was only making 1 can of chickpeas, I'd probably cut the garlic back to one clove.  But then, I never make just one can's worth of hummus because between Danny and I, it would be gone in a few hours.  

I made both, and it really does make me feel better.  The strong garlic and lemon make it through my sinuses and I can actually taste something!  Huzzah.  Now I have to wait 30 minutes before I take a cold-eeze because of the citrus.  

No comments: