Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Writing right.

Now that I blabbed about meat, I'm going to blab about writing.  Specifically, the dreadful, awful, unbelievably rotten style of writing that is "scientific writing."  I will quote an excerpt from something a scientist who I know, really like, and generally admire wrote:

"...Indeed, the channel discriminates an abrupt tension onset eliciting a full response from slow and gradual application of tension, which the channel tends to ignore by slipping into the inactivated state before opening..."

How about saying, "A closed channel in its resting state responds to gradually increased tension by simply inactivating.  In contrast, when the channel experiences abruptly increased tension, it opens and desensitizes before inactivating."

It says the same thing.  And the person I quoted is respected and considered a good writer.  I can't take it.  I constantly get lost in sentences that are 5 lines long, and this is what I've been studying for over a year now.  I tend to gravitate towards short declarative sentences when discussing technical things so my readers don't get lost, but it almost feels like the more baffling and obtuse you are, the more legitimate you are.  

I hate it.  I spend my days going between the shit that is science writing and reading and commenting ad infinitum on other topics on other blogs because it feels like for every sentence I write in Sciencese, another neuron on the creative side of my brain dies.  

This is so depressing and awful.

No comments: